Prep time: 30 minutes
This cake is perfect for festive celebrations and you can vary the amount of berry jam and cream to your taste. Cherries are higher in sugar/carbs than other fruits so if you’re watching your macros closely, they could be replaced with strawberries/raspberries but you’re only really eating about 2 cherries per slice.
- 1 x pack Simply Swap Foods Cheeky Chocolate Cupcake Mix
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted (or coconut oil) (125g)
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup preferred milk
- 1/3 cup (approx) sugar-free strawberry jam eg. Natvia brand (or make your own, recipe on my website)
- 24 pitted morello cherries
- 500ml pure cream (cold)
- 1 tblsp natvia sugar-free sweetener (or similar sweetener)
- 9 fresh cherries for decorating
- 2 squares Lindt dark chocolate (min 70% cocoa) for decorating
Preheat oven to 170°C f/forced and grease and line 20cm round cake pan.
- Pour entire dry mix contents into a large bowl and stir to mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together melted butter, eggs and milk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and fold together gently.
- Pour mixture into lined cake pan and bake for 35-40 mins or until cake spring back when lightly touched in centre (or a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean).
- Leave cake in pan for 15 minutes before removing to cool on wire rack.
- Once completely cold, slice in half horizontally with a large serrated knife.
- Spread strawberry jam on bottom layer then scatter morello cherries over jam.
- Make whipped cream by placing cold cream and Natvia in a bowl and use a hand beater to beat until thickened. Spoon generous amounts of cream over bottom layer in centre of cake.
- Place the top cake layer on and gently press down to push cream to edges. Spread another layer of cream on top (to desired thickness).
- Grate some dark chocolate over top of cream and decorate with fresh cherries. Enjoy!
After experiencing health problems three years ago, Linda changed to a low-sugar real food diet and was amazed at the results. Over a six month period, she easily lost 15kg of stubborn weight that she’d struggled with for decades, her energy levels improved to an all-time high and her mental clarity returned in abundance. Her husband joined her on this mission and also lost 20kg easily in 6 months and felt fantastic. One of the keys to their success was not feeling deprived of their favourite foods, especially cupcakes and porridge.
Linda launched her business “Simply Swap Foods” in November 2020 to help others on their journey to a healthier way of life. She loves sharing her recipes, story and knowledge about the benefits of reducing sugar and just eating real food. All Linda has done – with time and research – is ‘simply swapped’ some foods in her diet and she hopes to show others just how easy it can be and how fantastic you can feel. You really can indulge yourself and feel great too!
Check out the full product range at www.simplyswapfoods.com.au and follow Linda on her Facebook and Instagram pages for regular recipes and information. And don’t forget to download your free recipe eBook containing 16 favourite sugar-free/low-carb recipes.