This family recipe was a favourite when I was growing up and continues to be a favourite with my children. The marinade only takes a few minutes to put together. If you have the time, prepare ahead and allow the chicken to marinate all day or overnight.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 kg chicken drumsticks (10–12) or 4 chicken Marylands
- 1 tbls five-spice powder
- 3 tbls soy sauce
- 3 tbls vegetable oil
- 2 tbls sesame oil
- 3 tbls dry sherry or Chinese wine
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ tbls grated ginger (optional)
Tip: Keep ginger in the freezer to make grating easy. This means you will always have fresh ginger when you need it.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place all marinade ingredients in a large baking dish and stir to combine. Add the chicken, tossing to coat. If you have time, allow chicken to marinate for 2 hours or more.
- Place chicken in oven for 45 minutes and cook until the meat starts to pull away from the bone. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- This dish is great served with a simple green salad and rice or noodles.
Jodie Blight | We’re all busy and want quick, healthy and delicious meals but sometimes just don’t have the time. Summer TABLE will inspire you to put variety and zest back into your mealtimes and with a free APP to create a shopping list on your phone, dinner will be ready in no time! And – you learn how to use leftovers in innovative new ways.
After years working as a company director in the finance industry, starting a family and moving half way around the world, Jodie Blight discovered her passion – creating healthy, easy and delicious family meals. “A fist pump from the kids is as good as a Michelin star in my books.”