- White shirt
- Assorted colours of tie dye
- Rubber bands
- Rubber gloves
- Buckets or bowls for dye bath
- Paper to create heart template
- Washable marker
What to do:
- Wash shirts and let them dry to the point of just damp.
- Create a heart template. (We googled a picture of a heart and printed it onto a horizontal A4 sheet of paper.) Fold in half and cut our heart shape.
- Fold the t-shirt in half. Place the folded heart along the fold of the t-shirt and use a washable marker to trace the heart on the shirt.
- Start at the bottom of the heart outline and gather the fabric accordion style along the line. Place 3 rubber bands on top of each other around the outline of the heart
- Prepare the dye by following the directions on the box.
- Place entire shirt into tie dye bath and let it soak until desired hue is reached. (Ours stayed in for 5-10 minutes … but to help the shirts retain vibrant colours you can keep them soaking for up to an hour.)
- Rinse shirt until water runs clear.
- Hang to dry then wash in warm water and dry.
- Pat yourself on the back for having mad tie dying skills!