Prep time: 10 minutes
I started making this during our first lockdown and now always have some in the fridge to add to sparkling water or warm up as a tea. My kids love it as it’s really refreshing and tastes great. Exact quantities are not essential in this recipe, you can vary and experiment according to the size of your pot and how strong you like the flavour.
- Fresh lemons (3 – 4 medium size)
- Fresh ginger (piece about the size of your palm)
- Turmeric (2 finger length pieces, optional)
- Chop whole lemons into pieces then scrub ginger and slice into chunks.
- Add ginger and lemon to large pot of cold water.
- If adding turmeric, scrub and slice into pieces then add to pot of water.
- Cover pot with a lid and slowly bring to a boil then simmer for approx 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, pour through a colander to remove all the chunky pieces or alternatively use a slotted spoon or sieve to remove chunks.
- Place all chunky pieces into a nut bag (or muslin cloth or similar) and squeeze out as much goodness as you can into the existing liquid.
- Pour into clean bottles or jars and store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- To serve, add ¼ cup to a tall glass of iced water or sparkling water for a refreshing cold drink or alternatively add ½ cup to some boiling water as a warm tea.
You can have your cake and feel great too!
Linda is very proud to introduce the range of Simply Swap Foods premix products which are here to help you on your low sugar/low carb journey. All of the products are low carb, keto friendly, sugar free, use premium real food ingredients and plant based sweeteners, have no artificial colours or flavours, no genetically modified ingredients, are pet friendly (no xylitol), super easy to prepare at home and taste great. Plus they are all made with love right here on the Mornington Peninsula.
Check out the range online at www.simplyswapfoods.com.au and follow Linda on her Facebook and Instagram pages for regular updates, photos and recipes. Also, to help everyone on their sugar free journey, Linda has created a free recipe ebook containing 16 favourite sugar-free/low-carb recipes which is available for download on her website.
Voluptuous Vanilla Cupcakes
Containing premium ground vanilla beans, these are so easy to prepare and are perfect for anyone wanting to minimise their sugar intake at family celebrations. Delicious on their own or top with cream cheese icing (recipe on website) or fold through some berries for extra indulgence.
Cheeky Chocolate Cupcakes
Containing pure organic cacao full of antioxidants, these are
a decadent dessert treat that look amazing on a dessert platter alongside fresh berries and whipped cream.
Perfect Porridge – Vanilla bean and Cinnamon
A delicious blend of flaxseed meal, chia seeds and sweet spices which can be enjoyed hot or cold any time of day. Add some whipped cream and berries for a very indulgent treat.
Perfect Porridge – Vanilla bean and Cacao
With lots of fibre from the flaxseed meal and chia seeds and antioxidants from the pure organic cacao, this blend is full of nutritious goodness and can be enjoyed hot or cold. Really yum topped with full-fat greek yoghurt and summer berries.
After changing to a low-sugar real food diet over 3 years ago and experiencing huge health improvements, Linda wanted to create some Australian-made products to help others on a similar journey. The biggest challenge she had at the start of changing to a low sugar eating style was finding an easy replacement for her beloved sweet treats, especially at family celebrations. Drawing on her background as a cookbook author and food writer, Linda spent many months in the kitchen fine-tuning the recipes that are used in these mixes. Please check out Linda’s website for more details and know that she’ll be doing a super happy dance every time someone places an order.