Prep time: 10 minutes
Serves: 12 (approx. 250ml jar)
After years of wasting time (and eggs) trying to make homemade mayo, I have finally perfected a recipe that works every time! This tastes so good, you’ll never want to go back to store-bought again, plus it’s so much more affordable and full of healthy fat. Use this as a base in all your summer salads and you can add other ingredients to mix it up a little eg. balsamic vinegar, sugar free sweet chilli sauce etc. You will need a good high speed blender with the ability to pour in liquid while it’s running (eg. Vitamix blender) and ensure you use a light tasting oil for this recipe or it will overpower the flavour.
- 1 large egg (70g), must be room temperature
- 3 tsp Australian mustard (or any preferred mustard)
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt flakes
- 2/3 cup light flavoured oil (MCT oil or light taste olive oil works well)
- Add egg, mustard, vinegar and salt into blender and process on low speed until smooth, around 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl if mustard or other ingredients remain.
- Measure out the oil and put in a jug or small squeezy bottle.
- Start blender again on low/medium speed and very slowly add the oil in a thin stream to previously blended ingredients. This step requires patience and the mixture will look very thin until you’ve added over half the oil. After that time it will start to thicken and you can add the oil slightly faster and increase the speed slightly (but don’t add too fast as it still could separate, just a slow thin stream).
- Once all the oil has been added, your mayo should be beautifully rich and thick.
- Spoon into a glass jar and keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.
After experiencing health problems three years ago, Linda changed to a low-sugar real food diet and was amazed at the results. Over a six month period, she easily lost 15kg of stubborn weight that she’d struggled with for decades, her energy levels improved to an all-time high and her mental clarity returned in abundance. Her husband joined her on this mission and also lost 20kg easily in 6 months and felt fantastic. One of the keys to their success was not feeling deprived of their favourite foods, especially cupcakes and porridge.
Linda launched her business “Simply Swap Foods” in November 2020 to help others on their journey to a healthier way of life. She loves sharing her recipes, story and knowledge about the benefits of reducing sugar and just eating real food. All Linda has done – with time and research – is ‘simply swapped’ some foods in her diet and she hopes to show others just how easy it can be and how fantastic you can feel. You really can indulge yourself and feel great too!
Check out the full product range at www.simplyswapfoods.com.au and follow Linda on her Facebook and Instagram pages for regular recipes and information. And don’t forget to download your free recipe eBook containing 16 favourite sugar-free/low-carb recipes.