Prep time: 15 minutes
Swapping to a low carb eating style doesn’t mean you have to deprive yourself of favourite foods like pizza. This super easy pizza crust is quick and easy to make and tastes just like you expect a good pizza to taste. Top with a lot of your favourite healthy real food pizza toppings!
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese, grated (170g)
- ¾ cup blanched almond meal
- 2 tblsp cream cheese
- 1 large egg (min 70g)
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp mixed dried Italian herbs
Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place the grated cheese, almond meal and cream cheese in a medium size microwave proof bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Remove and stir then put back in to microwave on high for another 30 seconds.
- Add the egg, salt and herbs and mix gently with a fork to form a dough.
- Place dough between two large sheets of baking paper and use rolling pin (or hands) to press dough into desired size and shape (base should be 3mm-5mm in thickness, a thinner crust will be crispier). Use a fork to prick holes all over the base.
- Slide the baking paper with pizza base onto pizza tray, pizza stone or baking tray and bake in pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. To make base crispier, flip the base over (onto baking paper) once the top has browned. Take care not to overcook as it browns quickly towards the end of cooking time.
- Remove from oven and top with your favourite pizza toppings eg. Tomato pizza sauce, salami, mushrooms, olives, peppers, bacon, herbs and more mozzarella.
- Place back in oven for 5-10 minutes to heat up the toppings and melt the cheese until golden.
- Pizza bases can be cooked and frozen for later use. (Uncooked bases are not suitable to freeze.)
With a background as a food writer and cookbook author, Linda Martinucci has spent the last 15 years following nutrition studies and medical research aimed at the best way to fuel our bodies for optimal health.
In 2017, Linda made the decision to overhaul her eating style and was amazed at how much better she felt by simply reducing carbohydrates and increasing healthy fats. Taking her husband, David, on the journey with her, he not only experienced weight loss, but had energy he never thought possible, and all inflammatory aches and pains disappeared.
One key to successfully transitioning to this new lifestyle was being able to indulge in favourite desserts from time to time, particularly at family celebrations.
Every Simply Swap Foods ingredient has been carefully selected for good nutrition and health benefits; Linda doesn’t compromise when it comes to your health. With these products and recipes, you really can indulge yourself and feel great too!