This salad was first created over a century ago. It may seem old fashioned and not look too exciting, but the sweet crunchy salad combined with the pork make for a refreshing summer meal. You may just be surprised. Try using different coloured apples and grapes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 red apples, cut into matchsticks
- 2 sticks celery, cut into matchsticks
- 20 seedless grapes, halved
- 400g cooked pork, shredded and warmed
- 4 handfuls mixed lettuce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice from apples
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoons white condiment (white balsamic vinegar)
- ½ teaspoon hot English mustard
- Coat the pecans with maple syrup and toast under high grill for a few minutes. Allow to cool on a plate (so they don’t stick), then chop roughly.
- Place the lemon juice in a salad bowl and add chopped apples (this will stop them from going brown). Give a quick toss to make sure all the apples are coated then add celery and grapes.
- Strain the lemon juice from the apples, mix with remaining dressing ingredients in a jar and shake until combined.
- Taste and adjust to your liking. Add more mustard if needed. Pour over apple and celery mix and toss together.
- Add pork and toss again.
Jodie Blight | We’re all busy and want quick, healthy and delicious meals but sometimes just don’t have the time. Summer TABLE will inspire you to put variety and zest back into your mealtimes and with a free APP to create a shopping list on your phone, dinner will be ready in no time! And – you learn how to use leftovers in innovative new ways.
After years working as a company director in the finance industry, starting a family and moving half way around the world, Jodie Blight discovered her passion – creating healthy, easy and delicious family meals. “A fist pump from the kids is as good as a Michelin star in my books.”