Fabulous Gift Idea!
- 30cm X 30cm square canvas
- Printer with A4 paper
- Acrylic paint
- Contact paper
- Paint brush (something with soft bristles or better yet a foam one to prevent streaks from heavy-handed painters)
What to do:
- Paint the canvas white.
- Take photos of your models from the side, arms down (we stood against a plain background so we could find easy cut lines later on).
- Print the photos, black and white, on regular A4 sized paper.
- Cut around the photo, paying special attention to hair lines and lips/nose
- Use this “stencil” and trace the outline onto the paper side of your contact paper with a dark texta. (I wasn’t toooo careful here, knowing that you wouldn’t see any of the black line after peeling off the actual sheet.)
- Cut along the black line. (Don’t worry too much if you make a hair mistake, (we made plenty!), adjust it with your scissors and move on. There’s room for error in this project.)
- Stick the contact paper cut-out to the middle of the canvas pressing down carefully to smooth out bubbles and get edges down firmly.
- Paint over the entire canvas.
- After the paint dries, remove the contact paper cut-out.
- Art! Awesome!
As published in Peninsula Kids – Summer 2016/17