Kids and adults alike love these tender steak sandwiches. They are so quick to make. And it wouldn’t be a steak sandwich without caramelised onions and beetroot!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 4 beef minute steaks
- 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 4 Turkish bread rolls
- 1 tablespoon mustard (optional)
- 225g sliced beetroot, drained
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 handfuls lettuce or rocket leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 red onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2–3 thyme sprigs
- To make caramelised onions, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat then add onions. Cook for 8 minutes stirring occasionally. They should not brown but just soften. Then add vinegar, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in thyme leaves.
- If the steaks are thick, put them between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with the flat side of a meat mallet until they are about 5 mm thick. Marinate steaks in a bowl with oyster sauce while the barbecue heats.
- When hotplate is very hot, cook the steaks for 1 minute each side.
- Remove, cover and allow to rest while you cut the bread rolls in half and toast on the hotplate until golden.
- Spread inside of each roll with mustard and add steak, caramelised onions, beetroot, tomatoes and lettuce or rocket.