Finally a super easy and delicious sugar-free low-carb alternative to your favourite jam and cream sponge cake! This is perfect for Christmas party catering as it looks amazing plus suits multiple dietary requirements – coeliac/gluten-free, low-carb/keto and diabetic. It can also be made dairy free using sweetened coconut cream instead of standard cream. Full step by step video instructions are available on my website www.simplyswapfoods.com.au and social media.
- 1 x pack Simply Swap Foods Voluptuous Vanilla Cupcake Mix
- ½ cup salted butter, melted (or coconut oil) (125g)
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup preferred milk
- ⅓ cup (approx) sugar-free strawberry jam eg. Natvia brand (or make your own, recipe on my website)
- 300ml thickened cream (cold)
- 1 tblsp natvia sugar-free sweetener (or similar granulated sweetener)
Chocolate ganache icing:
- 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 2 tblsp thickened cream
Preheat oven to 170°C fan forced and grease and line an 18cm round cake pan.
To make cake:
- Pour entire dry mix contents into a large bowl and stir to mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together melted butter, eggs and milk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and fold together gently.
- Pour mixture into lined cake pan and bake for 35-40 mins or until cake springs back when lightly touched in centre (or a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean).
- Leave cake in pan for 15 minutes, then cool on wire rack.
- Make ganache – place chocolate and cream in a microwave safe bowl then microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove and stir well to incorporate cream into chocolate then cool slightly.
- Make whipped cream – place cold cream and natvia in a bowl and use an electric beater to beat until thickened to firm peaks.
- Once cake is totally cold, slice in half horizontally with a large serrated knife and separate layers.
- Spread strawberry jam evenly on bottom layer to edges.
- Spoon generous amounts of cream evenly over jam on bottom layer of cake.
- Place the top cake layer on and gently press down to push cream to edges.
- Spread cooled ganache over top of cake and decorate with your choice of fresh berries, coconut and chopped nuts.
After experiencing health problems three years ago, Linda changed to a low-sugar real food diet and was amazed at the results. Over a six month period, she easily lost 15kg of stubborn weight that she’d struggled with for decades, her energy levels improved to an all-time high and her mental clarity returned in abundance. Her husband joined her on this mission and also lost 20kg easily in 6 months and felt fantastic. One of the keys to their success was not feeling deprived of their favourite foods, especially cupcakes and porridge.
Linda launched her business “Simply Swap Foods” in November 2020 to help others on their journey to a healthier way of life. She loves sharing her recipes, story and knowledge about the benefits of reducing sugar and just eating real food. All Linda has done – with time and research – is ‘simply swapped’ some foods in her diet and she hopes to show others just how easy it can be and how fantastic you can feel. You really can indulge yourself and feel great too!
Check out the full product range at www.simplyswapfoods.com.au and follow Linda on her Facebook and Instagram pages for regular recipes and information. And don’t forget to download your free recipe eBook containing 16 favourite sugar-free/low-carb recipes